What is it?
The National Sports Fund was established through the enactment of the Sports Act 2013. The Sports Fund is operated and managed by the Board of Trustees. The Fund is domiciled within the Ministry of Sports, Culture and the Arts. Its main goal is to raise funds to facilitate growth and development of the sports industry in the country.
How is it funded?
Section 12 of the Act provides that all the proceeds of any sports lottery, taxes levied under the Betting, Lotteries and Gaming Act, investments and any other payments to be paid into the National Sports Fund as apportioned by the Sports, Arts and Social Development Fund.
As per section 28 of the Sports Act the Fund comprises of;
- Such moneys as may be appropriated by Parliament (Sports, Arts and Social Development Fund shall apportion thirty five percent 35% of its funds to the promotion and development of sports).
- Money, revenue or assets as may accrue to the Board of Trustees in the course of the exercise of its powers or the performance of its functions.
- Funds accruing from investments made by the Board of Trustees
- Gifts, grants, loans or donations, made with the approval of the Cabinet Secretary
- Money from any other source received by the Board of Trustees in the performance of its functions e.g lotteries
- Reserve Account
Reserve Account (Sports Act section 28)
A reserve account of the Fund has been established and maintained into which the following are deposited;
- Any special contribution paid into the Fund by the Government for the purposes of facilitating sportsperson
- Any income of the Fund that the Board of Trustees determines should be set aside to support national sports organizations subject to a maximum of ten per cent of such income
Note; No money shall be drawn out of the reserve account without the authority of the Board.
What is the function of National Sports Fund Board? (Section 17 of the Sports Act);
- Manage, control and administer the assets of the Fund in such manner as to best promote the purpose for which the Fund is established
- Receive any gifts, grants, donation or endowments made to the Fund and make disbursements therefrom.
- Enter into contracts on behalf of the Board of Trustees
- Raise funds through sports lotteries, investments and any other means and disburse the funds for the development of sports and recreation
- Make recommendations relating to the provision of financial grants to national sports organizations
- Ensure that any national sports lottery carried out for the purposes of the Fund complies with the relevant law
- Receive from sports agencies an annual sports program, outlining a comprehensive plan of action for the development, rehabilitation and maintenance of sports projects or programs of the sports agency and the estimated costs of every activity.
- Required to implement the plan of action;
- Advise the Cabinet Secretary on the establishment and implementation of a social responsibility program in respect of the national sports lottery and any other matter relating to the national sports lottery.
Accountability to Sports Organizations.
The Board has to indicate to all the sports agencies at the beginning of its financial year for the following;
- The amount of money likely to be available to the Board for allocation in that year
- The priorities of the Board in monies allocated in that year
- The criteria to be applied in making allocations
Powers of the National Sports Fund Board of Trustees
- The Board of Trustees has the power to enter into partnerships with such other bodies or organizations within or outside Kenya in furtherance of the purposes for which it is established.
- The Board of Trustees has the power to become a member of, or associate with corporations or other bodies or associations for the purposes of assisting or promoting sporting projects, programs and activities.
Duties of Sports Fund CEO
The Chief Executive Officer of the Board of Trustees is appointed by the Board of Trustees, through a competitive recruitment process and is mandated to carry out the following duties;
- Ensure the maintenance of efficiency and discipline by all staff of the Board of Trustees
- Manage the budget of the Fund and ensure that its funds are properly expended and accounted
- Perform such other duties as directed by the Board.
Who can receive funds from the Sports Fund?
The Fund provides financial support for;
- Sports persons
- Sports organizations
- And provide any other payments required to be paid out of the Fund.
Conditions for Accessing Funds
- Submission of an Annual calendar of activities: every applicant should first submit their annual calendar of activities to the fund by the 15th January of each calendar year.
- Submission of a budget (estimated expenditure) for the year: A detailed annual budget should accompany the calendar of activities. The budget should specify how funds requested from the Fund would be utilized during the year.
- Submission of audited financial statements within one month after the holding the Annual General Assembly.
- Each federation/club/agency seeking assistance must have complied with the registration requirements, and must be in full compliance with Sports Act 2013.