The High Tea Panel discussion on Gender Based Violence (GBV) was Held on 24th November 2018 at English Point Marina to usher in the 16days of activism which is celebrated from 25th November to 10th December of every year. 16days of activism aims to raise awareness about GBV, and action to end violence is highlighted. It is a time when efforts to end Gender Based Violence are communicated in a 16 days long campaign as a strategy for greater impact.
The significance of the workshop was to raise awareness about GBV. It was particularly unique in that it allowed individuals to participate and have a broad discussion about GBV. Among the panelist in the forum included;
- Beverly Mumbo – Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA)
- Griffins Manguro – International Centre for Reproductive Health Kenya (ICRHK)
- Anne Onjagua – Serene Initiative
- Violet Thiga – Sauti ya Wanawake
- Sister Nancy Wanjiru – Tudor Rescue centre
- Nurse Saida Mwinyi – Gender Based Violence Recovery Centre (GBVRC)
- Joram Mutsotso – Christian Legal Education Aid and Research (CLEAR)
During the workshop the several topics were discussed including the following;
- The legal safeguards of GBV
- Measures taken in caring for survivors
- The statistics and reports of GBV within Mombasa County
- The measures taken to provide counselling and psychological care for the victims and how the community can support them.
- Child protection against GBV
The panel discussion organized by Mpower in partnership with Lawquery attracted other entities such as Sauti ya Wanawake, FIDA-Kenya, House of Yoga, Grill House, Khangadelic, Elan Nutrition and Wellness to be part of it.
The Fit for Life Gym taught the participants self defence demonstrations that are applicable. Various exhibitors were also present to showcase their products and services. They include;
- Tunaweza Persons with disability group whose products are jewelry, peanut butter, clothes bags and shoes.
- Solian properties who are in real estate buildings apartments.
- Elan nutrition and wellness with forever ling products
- Jay empire enterprise whose products are bags, scarfs, handmade XMass cards and branding catalogue.
During the workshop various participants won raffle voucher which were offered by Wild Waters, Tayo House, House of Yoga, Elan Nutrition and wellness. The workshop was later on graced by a fashion show in which Khangadelic and other exhibitors displayed their clothing line.